All Navy Look // 20 Ways To Build Your Instagram Following
I have a million reasons to be thankful, but waking up to 20k Instagram followers on Thanksgiving morning was definitely a highlight. I’ve been waiting close to 3 years to hit that milestone, so it was especially exciting that it happened on Thanksgiving. In honor of 20k, here are 20 ways to grow your own Instagram following.
- Engage, engage, engage. The more you engage on other people’s pages, the more others will engage with yours.
- Like and comment on photos of people currently following other bloggers or fashion pages that are similar to yours.
- Comments are more effective than likes. Proven.
- Put some thought into your comments. Try responding to captions or specific outfit details rather than simply leaving a heart emoji or something completely unoriginal like, “Cool.”
- Start taking note of the best times to engage. I’ve found that I receive the most followers when I engage in the afternoon and late at night before bed.
- Post consistently and often. The more you post, the more Instagram helps your photos be seen.
- The better your photos, the more people will want to follow you.
- In addition to the quality of your photos, the more cohesive your feed looks, the more followers you’ll get.
- Use trending or more esoteric hashtags, like #thatsdarling and #pursuepretty. Hashtags like #fashion and #outfit are great too, but they’re so overused that your photo will get buried in seconds.
- Geotag your photos. This gives people another way to find you.
- Join a comment pod where you and some of your blogger friends notify each other every time you post a photo so everyone can go leave a like and comment.
- Work with brands. A lot of times they’ll repost which will give you lots of exposure.
- Tag brands even if you’re not working with them… yet. They may just repost which will give you exposure and could be the start of a very amazing working relationship.
- Tag popular Instagram accounts that repost photos, like @ootdpage and @the_real_outfit.
- Host giveaways. Either join a loop giveaway or have a brand sponsor a giveaway. Require anyone who enters to follow your profile and tag friends.
- Promote your Instagram on your blog and other social media sites.
- Do a photoshoot with other bloggers. When the other bloggers post the photos, you’ll be exposed to their followers who may very well end up following you too.
- See what types of photos your followers respond best to and post more of that. Do they like #bts shots, outfit photos, flatlays? If you don’t know, ask them.
- Promote your photos. Sometimes you have to put in money to see the growth.
- Make friends with social media managers. Connections are everything, after all.
Navy Turtleneck: Banana Republic (c/o)
Navy Pleather Skirt: Zara
Navy Bag: The Cambridge Satchel Company (c/o)
Leopard Booties: Coach